Saturday, January 14, 2012

Holliann Bergin :) An intro!

I moved to Penobscot county three short months after graduating from a Class D high school in Downeast Maine. My area defines the term 'small towns', so a place like Bangor was certainly a change in pace for me. Born and raised in Washington Country certainly taught me many valuable things about life, but I wanted to go somewhere new.
I went from living on a hill on the Bingo Road to living in the college town that is home to the University of Maine. I went from seeing all of my closest friends every single day to seeing them, hopefully, once a month. I went from eating dinner with Mom and Dad every night, to not. Blessed with a good family and friends, missing them is sometimes very painful for me. For two and a half years in high school, I worked at a grocery store where I experienced my first co-working family experience.
As a natural dreamer, optimist and whimsical person, moving out of Washington County was a whole new set of dreams for me. Once moving out, I quickly got a job working with children who have disabilities; a job that certainly did not come naturally to me, but I got the hang of it eventually. Gearing up to this job, I was nervous and afraid. It was nothing I had ever wanted for myself. Once I had gotten the hang of things, I realized it was a job I really loved. It showed me how much I love helping people, and how I can really do anything I set my mind too.
But working with children isn't my only passion. I've always dreamed of being a writer. For the entirety of my existence, writing was what I've wanted to do, in some way, shape or form. But as I got older, I also discovered that I had a certain flair for photography. In April and May, I'll be having my own photography exhibit at the Bangor Public Library.
This is my fourth and final semester at EMCC. In May, I'll be moving home to Waite, and in the fall I'll be going to the University of Mainea at Machias where I'll study creative writing. I've studied Liberal Studies and Early Childhood Education at EMCC, but creative writing has always been the major I've dreamed about.
I've had an overall positive experience at EMCC and in the Bangor area, but my wandering photographer feet are extremely excited to experience new things in a brand new area. After going out of my beloved Washington County for almost two years, I decided it was time to go back.

4 comments:

  1. You have the tone and style of those mini-profiles exactly, including the obligatory hat-tip to EMCC. I wish the school was still publishing them on its website--if it were, I'd submit this, but the person who had the idea for those profiles is long gone and now they are sort of just floating on the school website without a 'parent' to watch over them.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kill word verification. Here's how: "When I click on the "Blogger options" when I am at the dashboard, it has the option of "Old blogger interface." I change it to the old blogger interface, then go to the settings comments, and change the word verification to no, then I can change it back to new interface, and it posts without need of entering the captcha code each time."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay! I got that fixed for you. Since this is just another blog I have under an account I've had for a while, I still use the old interface.
    I was reading on the page for the course and I didn't see anything about journal entries. Can we have journal entries for advanced creative writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journals aren't part of your assigned work, but I'm always happy to read whatever you care to write.

    ReplyDelete