Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week11

I have never been a very good cook or baker. I burn almost everything I attempt to cook. Even though I love to bake and cook, the last time I made cookies for my dad he wouldn't eat more then a bite of them.
And my dad eats everything.
Apart of what makes my cooking and my baking a little less then Food Network worthy is probably my desire to experiment.
For example, baking cookies with applesauce instead of butter may sound like a fantastic idea. And although it makes the cookie quite a bit more healthy, it certainly makes it a lot less tasty. Especially considering I burnt them.
And as far as cooking goes... I just mastered the art of successfully frying an egg without making the smoke detector go off. So when it came time to come up with a speech to write a demonstrative speech for my oral communications class, I was at a loss.
I knew most of the people in the class would bring in things that they had cooked or baked. I tried my hand at making a chicken, cheese and buffalo sauce dip, but I messed that up too.
So I was sitting at the kitchen table at my apartment, with my cruddy dip sitting next to me, tapping my fingers on the tabletop, trying to figure out what I could teach my class.
I have accepted that cooking and baking are not my strong points. My mom's a great cook and so is my sister, so I'm clearly just the oddball out that wasn't given that gene. I went through my life and tried to think of something that I was good at that I could teach others.
There is always photography - but this speech was about creating a finished product. Something tactile that could be touched and, in most cases, eaten. I couldn't exactly do that with photography. I work with kids, so I considered for a moment some kind of craft that I could show. But as I brainstormed, nothing really came up.
I sighed, stood up, and decided to make myself some chocolate milk.
I learned when I was a barista at Border's that stirring a mixed beverage hurt more then helped the mixture. It was always better to shake rather then stir. So I made the chocolate milk, and while I was shaking it from glass to glass as opposed to stirring it, I realized that there was something I could share with the class after all.
I had a brief flashback to when I was a barista. I loved it. I would walk into work and tie my apron on, pull my hair back and push my sleeves to my elbows. I loved working quickly with my hands from drink to drink. I didn't follow recipes well; I did what I knew would taste good, not exactly what was written in the book. But I never had any complaints on how my drinks came out. I was a master at making whipped cream look great sitting atop a beverage, and I enjoyed moving quickly behind the counter at that little cafe.

Ever since I worked as a barista for the four months that I did, I realized I had a love for creating those beverages. I had little dreams of me someday maybe behing a bartender; tossing shaker glasses in the air and catching them, collecting tips as I did. Wearing old blue jeans and a black t-shirt, I'd pour rowdy bikers and cowboys whiskey sours and rum and Cokes.

Even though I was voted Class Klutz in high school and can barely go a day without tripping, working as a barista was something that surprisingly came easy to me. The first week I did it, I hated it and thought I would never be very good at it. I contemplated quitting.
But as I gave the job a chance, I got better and better. Soon enough I was tossing around stuff like a champ.
So inspiration hit me.
I grabbed the things I needed and started working.
I brewed some iced tea just like I learned at Border's; put tea bags in a pitcher, one for every 8oz serving, fill it with boiling water and let it steam for 10 minutes. I stuck it in the fridge and got out some pomegranite juice and mint leaves. I put ice into a cup and, when the iced tea was cool enough, I poured some of the juice and the other ingredients into a cup. I shook it all together (always shaken, never stirred) and took a hearty sip.
The mint hit me first - because I like a strong tea, I didn't use any sweetener but the mint was a great mild touch. The pomegranite added a satisfying tang, and it added a nice flavor to the tea.
All of the healthy and natural ingredients created a nice, refreshing tea. I decided that this sort of thing was perfect for my speech. I could give some tips that I learned as a barista; things that students who didn't work as a barista may not know. Maybe I could inform them and show them something they didn't know how to do before, which is precisely what the speech was intended for.
I smiled to myself as I fished for more ingredients around the kitchen; there were so many possibilities now.

1 comment:

  1. On the other hand, for a SPE 101 change of pace, you could have brought in some of your famous burned applesauce-no-butter cookies to demo how NOT to do something. I'm sure the class would have been very 'interested' any samples you offered after the speech....

    Kidding!

    This works fine as both a description of your discovering your expertise topic for Speech and also as an essay displaying expertise for Adv C N-F. It's a twofer.

    ReplyDelete